Updated: Jun 27
Check out our packing guide to make sure you're covered for your time in Sri Lanka. Because there's no such thing as bad weather, only inappropriate clothing :).
TO WEAR WHILE SURFING- 1. Swim wear & board shorts-
Surfing is a minimal sport. All you need is swim wear and shorts. And your sunny self :)
2. Dry fit tshirt-
To avoid rash from the sun or scraping from the board. If you dont have, we will give you a rash vest to wear over your shorts.
3. Sunscreen & sunglasses- The sun can be strong. Bring along UV protected sunglasses and sunscreen. Weligama has plenty of surf shops where you can buy zinc sunscreen, surfing hats and other surf accessories.
GENERAL/ EVENING WEAR-
1. Shorts/ Loose cotton pants It's a cool beach town, and you can be your best beachy self :)
2. Cotton tshirts/ Dresses- Ditto. Go for whites and lighter colours to soak in the wind.
3. Underclothes A pair or two a day.
4. Flip-flops- Beach style :)
5. Straw hat For some sun cover
ACCESSORIES & MISCELLANEOUS
1. Water bottle Fill water from your accommodation to carry with you for training. Lets avoid buying single use plastic bottles.
2. Day pack To carry with you to the training with your water bottle, sunscreen, sunglasses etc
3. Quick dry towel
4. Toiletries-The usual- Soap, shampoo, moisturizer, toothbrush and tooth paste. Sanitary needs for the ladies.
5. Entertainment & electronics Bring along any musical instruments if you play, or sports gear if you have like a skateboard or slackline. Speakers/ kindle/ book are a traveller's best friend too.
6. Small first aid kit + Corona kit Best to carry some basic medicines for cold, fever, loose motions, ointment for aching muscles, some band-aids and any other personal medication. Don't forget your mask and sanitiser. The new basics.
7. Overseas travel essentials - Currency, sim, visa, charger type Best to bring US dollars/ Euros from India. They are easier to exchange than INR. Weligama also has ATMs to withdraw cash & money exchange shops where you can exchange currency. For exchanging rupees, the airport is the best bet. If you want internet on the go, you can buy a local sim at the airport arrival (around INR 800).
Or else you can use Wifi at the surf house and at most cafes around.
Sri Lanka has Type D charging portals (2-3 round pin/ same as India), so no for a charging adapter.
Most important, don't forget your passport and a Sri Lanka ETA (online form to be filled in place of visa; they charge USD 30 for Indians for a 1 month stay).
8. Last but not the least, some spunk! That’s the difference between you and the next door Joe who didn’t sign up for surfing :D Note- This is simply a suggestion. Please add/remove as per your needs. Images are merely to give an example. Please replace with nearest items from your existing wardrobe. Sustainability & functionality > appearance, always :)
Nitisha Sethia is an outdoor sport practitioner and founder of Adventure Play. Ex-McKinsey & Co. and IIM Ahmedabad, Nitisha left her corporate job to follow her passion in the outdoors.
Adventure Play is a one-stop platform to discover & learn new outdoor sports.