Updated: Oct 30
Check out our packing guide to make sure you're covered for your time in Phu Quoc. Because there's no such thing as bad weather, only inappropriate clothing :).
TO WEAR WHILE SAILING- 1. Swim wear & board shorts-
Get ready for the ocean. Bring along your swim wear and shorts. And your sunny self :)
2. Rash guard-
To protect from the sun while on the boat. Full sleeves is better to protect more skin area. If you don't have one, wear any dry fit t-shirt.
3. Sunscreen, sunglasses, cap/ hat- The sun can be strong. Bring along UV protected sunglasses and sunscreen. Also bring along cap/ hat that doesn't get damaged with water.
4. Waterproof watch-
Not mandatory, but we like to wear one. It will give you a sense of time at sea. Available at Decathlon, starting INR 1200 (check Kalenji section).
GENERAL/ EVENING WEAR-
1. Shorts/ Loose cotton pants/ cotton tshirts/ dresses General wear for island vibes :)
2. Underclothes A pair or two a day.
3. Flip-flops & sports shoes- Flip flops for the beach & general island hang out :)
Bring along sport shoes, if you're into hiking. Phu Quoc has a few lovely nature trails.
4. Light jacket Evenings can be chilly, specially when riding on a scooty.
5. Rain jacket/ umbrella Phu Quoc does get some occasional showers.
ACCESSORIES & MISCELLANEOUS
1. Water bottle Fill water from your accommodation to carry with you for training. Lets avoid buying single use plastic bottles.
2. Day pack To carry with you to the training with your water bottle, sunscreen, sunglasses etc
3. Quick dry towel
4. Overseas travel essentials - Currency, sim, visa, charger type Best to bring US dollars/ Euros from India. They are easier to exchange than INR. Phu Quoc main town centre also has ATMs to withdraw cash. For exchanging Indian rupees, the airport is the best bet. If you want internet on the go, you can buy a local sim at the airport arrival (around INR 1000).
Vietnam has Type A, C and F charging portals. This pin Indian charger will work, thick pin may work at some places, and 3 pin wont work at all. So do bring a travel adaptor if your charger is not thin pin.
Most important, don't forget your passport and a print out of your Vietnam e-Visa. Printout is important as they will stamp upon entry.
5. Camera, entertainment & electronics
Bring along your GoPro/ Insta360 if you have one. Don't forget the underwater housing and a small rope which you can use to attach to yourself. Speakers/ kindle/ books are a traveller's best friend too.
6. Waterproof phone case
If you would like to take you phone aboard. Or else you can leave it behind in the school.
7. Toiletries-The usual- Soap, shampoo, moisturizer, toothbrush and tooth paste. Sanitary needs for the ladies.
For the super women who are menstruating- Best to wear a menstrual cup or a tampon. And don't worry, there are no sharks around who would be attracted by your blood.
Bring swimming goggles, snorkel if you have one. The beach near the sail school is perfect to go snorkeling even on your own. Bring along any musical instruments if you play, or sports gear if you have like a slackline.
9. Small first aid kit + Corona kite Best to carry some basic medicines for cold, fever, loose motions, ointment for aching muscles, some band-aids and any other personal medication. Don't forget your mask and sanitiser. The new basics.
10. Travel hacks-
Language can be a problem in Vietnam. Best to pre-download Vietnamese in your Google Translate app. For local travel within cities, best to download Grab App to book local taxis (just like Uber).
11. Last but not the least, some spunk! That’s the difference between you and the next door Joe who didn’t sign up for sailing :D Note- This is simply a suggestion. Please add/remove as per your needs. Images are merely to give an example. Please replace with nearest items from your existing wardrobe. Sustainability & functionality > appearance, always :)
Nitisha Sethia is an outdoor sport practitioner and founder of Adventure Play. Ex-McKinsey & Co. and IIM Ahmedabad, Nitisha left her corporate job to follow her passion in the outdoors.
AdventurePlay is a one-stop platform to discover & learn new outdoor sports.